I have these 2 rails to resaw into 4 aprons. Cutting off the trim detail (that held the window panes in place) allowed these to fit in my small bandsaw. Unfortunately with this project now well underway, and really close to the deadline, I’m find I may be trying too many new things, with this project.
I didn't feel like removing the 2x4 MDF zero-clearance top to my tablesaw to resaw these with the fence I have set up for the standard top (as is my most practiced method). So I thought I'd give the bandsaw a shot at it. Had lots of trouble with drift. I've never had great luck cutting to a line with the bandsaw (fence or not) with the accuracy I can get freehanding a taper on the tablesaw.
Not only did the 2 halves come out asymmetrical, but the thinner of the two seemed much thinner than intended. Not to mention dished and otherwise not parallel to the good face.
My kingdom for a planer that could get this flat, without removing stock!
I took the calipers to measure out the thinnest portion, which, as it turns out is marginally under 1/2 inch. It really won't look all that odd with the others coming in just north of that... or would 1/2 inch all around work. Perhaps it will.... So I rigged up a workable fence for the tablesaw in its current configuration, and proceeded to resaw these as I should have started in the first place.
Initially they came out worse then I expected, both cuts not meeting in the middle. Off by as much as the blade width on one end. (and yes I was flipping the piece properly, with the same face to the fence for both cuts.) A quick fence realignment took care of that. (with a little chisel work, a bit of planeing, and a few passes with the ROS got everything to where I was happy to stop for the night.
Sliced right throught the middle, rail, dowels and all.
Now, just a little more sanding and my 4 aprons will be ready to join the 4 legs, a quick cut to length, then it's on to joinery time!
Oh, I still need to get the two lower rails milled. Those are still in the "raw" state - as in still painted, fresh off the door. I expect to make quick work of those. However if those rails from between the windows prove too small or problematic, there is plenty of wood left over from the door stiles. Off cuts from the "veneer" stage.... Oh yeah, I may need a veneer face to match the quartersawn legs, now that I think of it.
Guess what I'll be doing this weekend ;)