Most of the old door has been milled down in size or thickness in preparations for this table. This has made quick work of paint removal – no tedious sanding, scraping or stripping.
One of the door panels will be the lower shelf, but doesn’t require any milling to bring this down to the proper thickness. So, in keeping with the green theme of the Greene and Greene inspired table I pulled out some “Ready Strip” and slathered on an (incidentally green) layer of
“non-toxic” oderless goo.
I've used this in the past, and had better luck (with paint) than Citrus Strip (which works great on poly). I expect tomorrow to slide the paint off, and get the last of my pieces cut down to size.
All 4 legs have thier quirks, and are waiting for assembly!
The much requested "after" pix:
The Stripper did a great job going down to the last layer, those scraped off with a little effort, (nice pile of paint on the floor) the bottom layer just didn't want to give up no matter how hard I scraped. I don't know what they put into paint 100 years ago, but it hangs on tight!
Frustrated I took this to the table saw to see if it would clean better, (that resulted in the only clear parts.