LumberJocks

Building my wooden Screw #9: Attempt of creating the screw...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by schu777 posted 12-08-2016 08:40 PM 521 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: Getting the router ready... Part 9 of Building my wooden Screw series Part 10: Onward to Version 3 of the Woodwen Screw jigs!!! »

I don’t have any pics of the process, but the aftermath. In this picture you can see my attempt on the screw. A couple of things I learned. My incorrect thought process would be that the dowels used to hold the guild block/nut together would be enough when creating the screw. Well, I was wrong and that ended up getting pushed out and caused the grove in dowel. The whole upper part of the dowel was my first attempt that I took off on the lathe – the second part you can somewhat see in the second attempt where the screw wouldn’t advance in all the way. At this point I couldn’t understand the reason for why it didn’t work. Investigating it, I found the guide nut got “crossed threaded”, ruining it. I also found that what I thought was 90 degrees for the holes, wasn’t quite so. So at this point I quit working on it for nearly a month due to family things and frustration. Coming up will be the third version.

-- Michael S. - Omaha, NE



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com