Sept 4 2010
I have started a pair of night stands for our bedroom after they are done I will make the bed head board and a foot board with a TV lift inside so here is the start of the project I tend to get caught up in building and not take the time to document and take photos. I have a bit of free time on my hands because my wife is out of town for thee weeks on business. Let the project begin.
As I’m sure you can see this is the stock I am using to get started. The other picture is ten (10) Legs. I like to have a few extra just to have a choice of the best wood grain and just in case I mess one or two up. (Did that before) I cut them 2” square and will leave them sit to release the tension from the wood after being jointed and rip sawn. In a day of two I will mill them proud of the final size leaving a bit to sand.
I have a can of Charles Neil’s conditioner and a can of “Wheat” spray Stain sold by Medallion Cabinetry Which gives a very rich cherry color I may tint the stain a little so its darker and shows a tiny tiny bit more red but I will check to see if I just apply more stain to make it darker “using a piece of scrap of course”.
OH did I say I am building this with no real set of plans just a few designs in my head. “Good Luck Right”!
I think I will work around this one. NOPE this is a bad idea better draw plans!
Thanks for looking.
Sept 5 2010
I didn’t get a whole lot done today due to going over measurements an my design however I did get the side, front and back rails cut for the bottom of the night stands. I would like to leave the sapwood in the design.
Sept 6 2010
Today I milled up all the boards for both tops and again I left them all thicker and longer.
Most of the day was maintenance on 3 pieces of machinery. Dust Collector, Compressor and Joiner. Cleaned out and blew out the DC Filter, emptied the dust bag and hit every part inside and out with compressed air. Then changed the oil and re-tightened all the fittings so no more leaks and drained the tank of nasty water. Lastly I waxed the surface of the joiner checker and made all the bed adjustments and checked the fence for 90 and 45 degrees and found them true. Grizzly makes a good machine.
Sept 8 2010*
Today I cut up more cherry then jointed and planed it then ran it all again to 7/8” thick and squared up the legs to 1 7/8” so far so good. I think I have to sit down and put this picture in my mind to plans on paper there are to many details to leave it all to a vision of what I think it will look like when its done so I guess I will have to use sketch up as much as I don’t like to use it. Don’t get me wrong I think its a great tool but I have trouble getting my head around it it just seems very time consuming for me because I am not very good at it and I get frustrated with myself.
So here are all the parts to date and I am sure I will need to cut up at least one more board. I have been keeping track of what I am using and making a cut list as I go.
30 1” by (various lengths) and 10each 1-7/8” legs.
-- Bob Egbert AKA Sandhill http://www.sandhillwoodworks.com/