LumberJocks

Miter Bench and Storage

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by sIKE updated 2118 days ago 8 parts 27152 reads 57 comments total

Part 1: Getting started with the base

2223 days ago by sIKE | 12 comments »

Finally got started on Norms Miter Bench and Storage. I had previously rough cut the base components so thankfully I didn’t have to break down six sheets of 3/4 ply. I started with the rabbits and the dado’s on all of the pannels. Note, the rabbits (when called for) go on the back not the front of the panel, most important on the right cabinet (scratch one panel). Then used a template to cut the notches and hole in the back for dust collection (scratch the same panel the second t...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Dust Collection and Leveling

2211 days ago by sIKE | 9 comments »

I have been working off and on this project since the last blog. I have had to spend most of the time getting the DC ran and grounded.I even worked out the DC for under the Miter Saw and the box I am am going to build behind it.I also finished up the 2×4 frame top for the right cabinet and got both of them mounted to the base cabinets.This evening I leveled and mounted the cabinets to the wall and then had to stop and clean the shop up as it was a mess. I started to scribe the 3/4 plywoo...

Read this entry »


Part 3: The top is on and it is trimmed out (mostly)

2208 days ago by sIKE | 8 comments »

I managed to get the top on during the week and got it mos of it trimmed out today. I need one more small stick of poplar to finish off the edge by the bench top tools.I decided that I didn’t like the setup for the bottom piece of the dust collection for the miter saw. I took the top off and moved the hood to the top of the bench.You can see that I also have got the line ran for my compressed air.I am planning to use a small and lite coiled air hose to get the dust off that isn’t ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Miter Box and Drawers

2193 days ago by sIKE | 7 comments »

Got back on the project this weekend. The goal was to get the Miter Box assemblies completed. With some inspiration from Scott Bryan, I decided to make a modification to Norms plans. The Miter Box plans call for the box front to be enclosed by plywood. I decided to put drawers in place of the plytwood instead. I had previously completed the build out of the left box and went ahead and completed the right box.This is the first time I got to use my new Jet 90 Degree Miter Clamps which work gre...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Delays - Will get back on it soon.

2164 days ago by sIKE | 3 comments »

Sorry for the delays. Late March though all of May is very busy for me and have not gotten any shop time. :( I was in Boston last week, Memphis this week, and will be in Sacramento this weekend. That is on top of two birthdays, Mothers Day, my Wedding Anniversary, the end of the school year, plus all of the end of school year activities….alas it is almost over and I can get back to butchering wood….

Read this entry »


Part 6: Back to work, Top is done (well almost)

2135 days ago by sIKE | 5 comments »

After taking a month long siesta from the shop I was happy to get back out and make some sawdust, first I had to clean it up then I finally got to it. I was able to mostly finish the top up this weekend. I still need to put a bead of caulk between the bench top and the wall to help keep dust from falling behind the bench and such.I built the box to capture the dust blown out the back of the Miter Saw. It still needs some tuning to fit the way I want it to work and get it caulked in. I moved t...

Read this entry »


Part 7: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

2121 days ago by sIKE | 8 comments »

Well, I have been slowly working on the this project over the last couple of weekends, but had to side track when my Air Compressor blew a gasket in the pump mechanism and I had to replace it (Turns out Good). With me having to work in the very hot loft to get this fixed I decided to go for broke and get all of my Compressor related sub projects taken care of. I had a slow leak on the unloader line, so I fixed that when I added the Automatic Drain Valve from Harbor Freight, thanks Patrick. I ...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Time to puts some drawers in!

2118 days ago by sIKE | 5 comments »

I managed to finish milling the drawer fronts/sides/backs this past Sunday and started the assembly process. Due to the lack of clamps and only being able to get two setups at a time (and of course my day job), I finally finished up today. Here are all ten of them in all of thier glory.With darkness closing in this evening and the the wife not so happy I pressed on through and mounted the first two drawers. They need a bit of fine tuning but they are in. I can see the end of the tunnel...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase