Well I have decided to make one. I haven’t seen a “in progress” posting with one of these yet and grabbed a couple pics. This project was inspired by GaryK and many other LJs. Also, I looked up this project in an issue of Wood magazine. I am using Cherry, Maple, Walnut, and Titebond 3 for the glue. Being winter I am having to let things sit for an extended period of time so I get a good solid cure. I changed from using my TS to using these cauls to get the boards to stay flat and they have worked very well so far. I do need about 10 more clamps though.
When I am done it will be a large cutting board 17 3/4×15 5/8. I am building it in ~6” wide sections so I can do the initial flattening on the jointer and planner. This has worked out much better than expected.
The pic below shows two ~6” sections being glued together.
I have all three sections built now I am just waiting on glue and time. Will post again as a completed project.
-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"