My father has been wanting a block plane for a while and had been dropping hints. So I went out on e-bay and found one that was in decent shape. After testing it out it and determining it was worth the trouble, I went ahead and refinished it.
Here is what I started with
First I lapped the sole and the sides, then I soaked it in Evapo-Rust, then I used a paint stripper to remove the remaining Japanning. I had to use a small piece of 220 grit sand paper to clean up the finger indentations. Once this was done (for some silly reason I didn’t take any progress pictures) I let the parts dry and then proceed to tape what I didn’t want paint on, plugged the screw holes with wax, rubbed the target areas with Mineral Spirits (to help remove any unwanted wax) and on the plane body I used a hi temp glossy black engine enamel and applied multiple thin coats and a medium coat last. The lever cap left me with a bit more of a challenge. As it was originally nickel plated I was first unable to remove the remaining (40%) plating and second I had no time to send it out to be plated (plus I don’t have a clue on how expensive tat would be). So I settled and used a chrome paint. I removed the enamel from the appropriate surfaces, Scary Sharpened the blade, put T-9 Boesheild on the exposed parts and reassembled.
I think it looks great and my dad is happily taking the thinnest of shaving off of his current project.
-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"