LumberJocks

Workbench #2: Gheto Glueup

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by s2h posted 09-12-2012 06:36 AM 869 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Getting Started $175 Workbench w/ inflation Part 2 of Workbench series no next part

All the cutting done for the base, mortise and tenons made and fitted. I glued up the sides, and set with pipe clamps. The next day I used my brand new Forstner bits to drill holes for 3/8” dowels to pin the mortises. This is the first time I’ve made mortise and tenon joints, first time I’ve used Forstner bits, and first time I’ve pinned a mortise and tenon. The pins were planed flat with my almost sharp #4 Stanley (don’t have a block plane yet). It felt pretty good to see those pins turn out nice and flush, with no gaps between the pin and the hole.

The next glue up was the bolts through the front and back rails. I started with one side, then did both sides at once on the other. I used glue on all the joints, but probably should have waited on gluing the last joint until the 3rd was done. The glue had started to set up and the bolts were not able to pull the joint closed by themselves. I used 3 ratchet straps to pull it closed. Ill loosen it up tomorrow and tighten the bolt up.

So far its been a very educational experience. I am really enjoying building my workbench. I know its simple work for most of you, but it is a challenge for me. I am learning a lot, and looking forward to finishing it up, maybe this weekend.




2 comments so far

View GlennsGrandson's profile

GlennsGrandson

432 posts in 994 days


#1 posted 10-18-2012 02:33 AM

Where is the finished product?! I want to build one of these, I ordered some vise stuff yesterday. You’re coming along greatly and I really like the bigger solid legs.

Get that thing done! (when you are able, no pressure)

-- Grant - S/N Dakota

View s2h's profile

s2h

29 posts in 771 days


#2 posted 10-21-2012 05:26 AM

Workbench is done for now. Ill take some pictures and do a write-up soon. I still need to buy and install a vise, and drill the dog holes, but everything else is complete. The table top glue-up was not as clean and even because I didn’t have a jointer to make the boards straight and true. It took quite a bit of elbow grease to hand plane it down, but it looks great now!

I have taken a break from my workbench to work on a few other odds and ends. Namely, a 8” WoodTek jointer restoration, and a set of stands for the washer and dryer. I’ll do some write-ups on those projects as well.

Thanks for the encouragement, I look forward to seeing your project.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase