So I have re worked the designs on a few of them and I am almost there with them to start making them en-mass for sales and gifts.
Need a bit more space around the legs and wings for painting. He is make out of red oak and I wanted him left natural. But this was my forst experience with making one of these toys with a hard wood and the belt sander scorced the poor thing. Need to work on my technique I guess as that isn’t an issue with the pine guys below. I use milk paints on all of these, I really like the look of them.
I finally buckled and bought wheels in bulk. For me they took the most effort and were the least fun.
I added his spines on separately rather than cutting them them out as I did the body. Easier to cut for sure but I had to fill in with wood filler after gluing them together. I may try cutting the next one with the spines on it and see how that goes.
I put these up for sale anyway just to see what happens. For those interested you can see them here.