Japanese Tool Box #4: Glue-Up Bottom

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by ruddhess posted 04-09-2015 04:23 AM 1600 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Dry Fit & Glue-Up (Sides Only) Part 4 of Japanese Tool Box series Part 5: Handles »

I actually resorted to using my new HF power planer to get the edges of these two boards flat and smooth enough to glue up. But I am most interested in making and constructing right now. I actually love all those dark knots against the lighter colored white pine boards!

I did find a relatively good crosscut saw at local GW this evening. Only 8$ (within my price range!)

A juxtaposition of saws: I got this saw today while on lunch. I used it tonight to trim the edges of the bottom of my toolbox. It works amazingly. I had been going to the store for the last three nights in a row and looking at saws up close and personal, trying to figure out what I wanted/needed and when I saw this saw at a different store – just latched on to it and took it to the check-out. I guess I’m not going to totally “unplug” just yet.

Here is a stick I cut at 1/8” longer than the center of the sides at the bottom measured (they bowed in just a bit). The bottom has been trimmed and I am just making sure all of the edges line up within reason.

Just a bit of a gap at one of the corners. Not too bad.

The inside of the bottom with pilot holes drilled for the screws that will hold it together while the glue dries.

And all glued up with the 2” hex head flat sided screws holding it together. I think these are the kind of screws used on aluminum siding or gutters or something like that. They have a thick coating of paint all over them – glue should not stick to them.

Here is the inside of the box.

Just a couple of shots of the bottom join to the sides.
One corner:

In the middle:

And here is the box (from the side) without any handles or top yet.

From the end with natural light from the open garage door.

After taking the screws out, I drilled the holes bigger (3/16”). The weights hold the box down when pulling the drill bit out. Adding some dowels at this point.

The screw heads left a star type imprint on the soft pine wood.

This is the only one that didn’t have an imprint (there were 25 screws and 26 holes, so this one didn’t get a screw in it during gluing).

This is one of the deeper impressions left by the screw heads.

Now for a little bit of sanding.

I like the way it looks anyway with those star things as a decoration. This picture shows some wood dust from the sanding filling in those depressions.

This is how most of the dowels look now.

-- Rodney, Arkansas

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics