I made about 10 half inch deep cuts to remove most of the waste wood for the groove.
My white pine 1X2 saw guide and clamps.
Here is the 1-1/2” wide by 1/2” deep groove the length of the top board.
I can’t believe how good it looks! I made and used my “poor man’s router” that Paul Sellers talks about in one of his videos. It is a poor man’s router made poorly by me. But it worked well enough to get the bottom of the groove flat. I’ll have to take a picture of it and put it up here.
Not too bad a fit. It’s not tight, but not too loose either. It will work.
Dry fit before I drill the holes for the screws and glue it up.
“Bunk bed” screws holding it toether while glue sets.
Screws taken out.
Holes over-bored to 5/16” for oak dowels.
And oak dowels glued in their places.
“T” boards from the end view.
Rough finish and joins, but they will work OK.
Flush cut dowels sanded down.
T-board going on top of saw bench horse.
One day I may put some holes for dowel pin inserts in the vertical part so I can adjust the height.
For now though it will have to look like this.
This one upright post stuck out too far below the foot, so I shaved it off a bit.
Hanging on by just a few wood fibers.
There is a gap on this one in the same place as the other one. Oh well. Shouldn’t affect it too bad.
And this is what it looks like with the t-board attached.
I declare the saw bench horses comlete!
-- Rodney, Arkansas