LumberJocks

Southern Yellow Pine Work Surface (workbench) #21: Finishing Up Saw Bench/Saw Horse No. 2

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by ruddhess posted 03-23-2015 02:39 AM 1257 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 20: Moving Workbench Slab Part 21 of Southern Yellow Pine Work Surface (workbench) series Part 22: Almost Finished! »

Making up a bunch of oak dowel pegs.

I use my old Delta belt/disc sander to clean-up the splinters and chamfer the ends of the dowels. Those oak splinters are a big pain!

Oak dowels come in all colors!

I keep the sets together and use them on the same joints as much as possible.

Second upright on Saw Bench/Saw Horse No. 2 was out of square by 1/4” (diagonal measurements) – after removing the 48” pipe clamps, this is the resulting diagonal measurements:

I call that square! :-) I need to clean the black stuff off my 48” pipes.

Here are a couple of oak dowel nails glued and hammered in. I don’t know if there is enough glue in there or not, but the fit is fairly snug and I think they will hold for a good long time. Not worried. The amount of glue around the edge after I hammer it in is way less than the amount I put on the dowel, so most of it is going into the hole and around the dowel.

And the two uprights side by side. I forgot the one dowel on the end of the top beam though. Had to add them after I discovered the omission.

Laying out the feet for the SB/SH2.

End cuts down to the line. This is the near side that I can see when sawing.

And this is the back side away from me. Close enough.

And one foot with half mortises all hogged out.

This is the only one of four legs that actually fit the width cut. I had to chop out an extra 1/16” on the other three (actually for good measure, I removed one thin-kerf width of material on all four openings).

There always seems to be one side that has a big gap. I did a dry run clamp-up before the real deal and the gap closed fine. I did have to tighten all the C-clamps bit by bit simultaneously. It worked though.

And finally, here is SB/SH2 with it’s feet all glued up. The only thing left to do is flush cut the oak dowels in the uprights and put 16 oak dowels in the joints on the feet. Then I just need to make the “T” plates for the tops of each of the horses and THEN I can put the benchtop slab on them! Yay!

Forgot to put in spacers at the top in between the uprights when I glued up the feet on this one. I almost didn’t get this one in there. I spread the uprights apart at least half an inch. I kept waiting to hear wood splitting. But it didn’t. Whew!

Oak pegs in the feet – cutting ends off tomorrow after work and then they will be done (except for adding the modular/removable “T” spacers).

Here are both of them side by side: brothers!

-- Rodney, Arkansas



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com