LumberJocks

Big wood find #7: Design Changes ?

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by rtb posted 1606 days ago 771 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Vises & and 1/3 top and pop the grain Part 7 of Big wood find series no next part

In every project I do there is a time when I discover things that I should thought of before I did what I have done and now have to undo. Before joining this great group I simply called these screw ups, mistakes, of other terms that will not be put in print on a family web site. Now I understand that correcting these little errors can politely called design changes. Of course to non woodworkers this is the way that was intended fro the git-go.
The first little error on this project came when I bought the bolts that holds the whole thing together I knew that they would have to go through about 5 inches or a little less, I therefore set out to buy 5 &1/2 inch bolts. I knew that I needed 28 and that meant I was going to get 30 bolts, large flat washers and 30 lock washers. I also knew that the best price would be on the bulk pkg. When I arrived at HD I discovered that the 5 &1/2 inch carriage bolts were down to about a dozen or so and there were no bulk (contractor) pkg’s at all. Without even considering a slightly larger bolt I simply bought what I felt that I needed in 6” length. Jumping forward to actually using them and I discovered that they worked just fine, ...is some places. Other places they protruded so far that I ran out of thread before reaching a tight point. Ok, not a problem just add a spacer on the far side, behind the flat washer and draw every thing tight. Jumping ahead again, adding a bottom shelf won’t fit because of the bolt and spacer now in the way. Design change. add a nice looking spacer on the outside before the bolt enters the parts to be bolted togetherPhotobucket

Design change #2 With Mikes help I had planed several boards, and riped them in to 3+inch strips. I selected enough to make the first 11 inch section of top. When i started to cut and glue the 2nd 11 inch section I discovered that I could only get a 67” length while the first had been 69”. I had known that this was a possibility and had a contingency plan in reserve, breadboardsPhotobucket

and so this brings me up to date. progress plus design changes (and tons of snow) have kept me very busy but at least it starting to look like a bench.

-- RTB. stray animals are just looking for love



1 comment so far

View Ecocandle's profile

Ecocandle

1013 posts in 1662 days


#1 posted 1606 days ago

Wow, that is grown up woodworking. I am sure your cats are dying to take a nap up there.

-- Brian Meeks, http://extremelyaverage.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase