Just finished up the leaves. Still going to do the undersides, but not too much work there – just a quick coat of 2lb cut shellac to seal it off.
Here are a few more pics. Like I said previously I’m VERY pleased with how this shellac finish turned out. And the last step of hand burnishing is a must. I compared the two leaves (one with and one without) and there was a noticeable difference in smoothness of the reflection between the two. So – I went ahead and rubbed out the second one.
See the first blog in this series to get the details of the finish. But it’s a BT&C Amber shellac. The following pics are a little different than the first set – I found my camera, and the colors are much more accurate here.
Here is a pic of the second leaf:
Here are some pics of the aprons. The design here is meant to match as close as possible to the original table.
Both leaves attached to each other:
And some detail of the flake:
More to come as I finish the rest of the table.