LumberJocks

Simple Writing Desk

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Rick updated 05-16-2012 11:15 PM 5 parts 11008 reads 4 comments total

Part 1: Working my way through

04-18-2012 10:04 PM by Rick | 1 comment »

I started out with a bunch of sycamore. It’s been sitting in my garage now for a year. I finally started to make use of it. A sample with one end shellac, one end Arm-R-Seal My wife is in need of a desk, but we wanted something simple. She said she didn’t even want a drawer. So we measured, and started on a couple boards. The boards had some twist. I spent a lot of time getting that out. I tried ripping one board on the bandsaw, then jointing one of the rips. I...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Inlay - more of the same

04-22-2012 06:36 PM by Rick | 1 comment »

The bow tie layout for the outside of the apron is done. I also laid out for dovetail keys in the corner of the table top and cut the ebony to be used for the inlay. I used a router with a 1/8” bit to hog out the bulk. The lighting in my shop is ok, but not ideal. I used this cap from Lowes with LED lights in the bill to give me almost “line-of-sight” lighting to the router bit. I switched to a 1/16” bit to get as much of the corners as I could, then clea...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Assembled, ready for finish

05-04-2012 01:42 PM by Rick | 0 comments »

The base has been assembled now for about a week. But what’s taken time has been new discussion on the finish. After long planning to do an Arm-R-Seal or similar, my wife decided she wanted to keep the wood as light as possible. Since the oil would take it to an amber color, that meant either shellac, lacquer or water-borne acrylic/polyurethane. After some samples were compared, we decided to go with General Finishes’ High Performance. It seemed to keep the closest c...

Read this entry »


Part 4: On to the finish line

05-11-2012 01:54 PM by Rick | 0 comments »

I got started a bit late in the day, but did get one coat of the High Performance finish on. I used a Rockler HVLP to apply the water based acrylic/urethane blend. The goal in my wife’s final choice was to keep the look of the wood as blonde as possible, and close to the wood. Over the next couple days, the last 2 coats went on, and we finally have moved it.

Read this entry »


Part 5: And now I need ideas!

05-16-2012 11:15 PM by Rick | 2 comments »

For anyone who might be interested to help, my wife said she needs a bookcase to go with this. So, I’m open for ideas on basic design. Since the desk is so simple in basic design, I was thinking I’d do something just as basic. We decided on dimensions of ~76” h x 36”w x 12”d. Given the tapered legs of the desk, and the medallion inlay, we thought we’d duplicate the medallion, but I don’t know if I want to just taper very short legs at the bottom of...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase