Tool Tip

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by robscastle updated 178 days ago 8 parts 5587 reads 29 comments total

Part 1: Drum Sander Tip

281 days ago by robscastle | 3 comments »

Just recently I managed to buy a second hand drum sander.The sander is CARBA TEC badged but looks like a Jet 16 -32 Knockoff, as it certainly does not have the height of the current models. I gave it a bit of a beating when I first bought it and sanded just about everything in sight one day, mainly to familiarise my self with its capabilities of what it can and cannot do. In the process I managed to break a belt and clog some of the others with resin and wood.The grits I had removed...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Reverse Glue Joint work 1

240 days ago by robscastle | 1 comment »

I have a couple of Reverse glue Joint bits for my router and one cutter for my shaper.I don’t use them very much, and as I had some left over timber from my Slope Tray work, I decided to give them a run.Or at least the shaper cutter. The timber had been jointed previously so there was not a lot of preparation required.Shop bought finished timber would be the same, rough sawn would require jointing prior to use.The Reviews I read on using a Glue Joint Bit has a mixed opinion as to ...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Reverse Glue joint at 90 deg

239 days ago by robscastle | 1 comment »

Before dismantling my shaper I decided to do some more 90 degree reverse glue joint work. I had some timber needing attention so I set it up again using method 2, cut the set up blocks from the single piece of timber. From the initial eyball setup I made another two adjustments and it was again a perfect fit. So bring on the 90 deg joint. Keeping in mind I was just using the shaper cutter and not a bearing mounted bit this is the result I got. Picture 1. This is the test cut...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Painters Tape Test Sample

234 days ago by robscastle | 5 comments »

If you read my project post “Aurora’s Lunch Caddy” you may have picked up on the weeping Black Dye problem I encountered.Well MarkwithaK responded and directed me to an other product FROGTAPE. So I checked it out on the net, not only did I find the tape I also saw some chevron tape as well both of which I would be interested to “Test Out” I found Masters (an Ozzie version of Lowes) stock the product so I hopped off to purchase some.Well sure enough there...

Read this entry »

Part 5: Painters Tape Test No 2

228 days ago by robscastle | 4 comments »

I conducted a second test with wood dye after reading a post by badcrayon suggesting using Sanding Sealer to assist in masking the dye area. Here are the results I obtained. Picture No 1: The product used and the test Sample Picture No 2: Sanding sealer applied below the first tape Picture No 3: The first tape relocated to the top of the sealer edge Picture No 4: A second tape applied to bare timber above the test area. Picture No 5: The dye applied with a p...

Read this entry »

Part 6: Dye and Painters Tape Test No 3 and final

227 days ago by robscastle | 5 comments »

OK I have conducted yet another test using a suggestion by Jumbojack to score the edge of the timber before dying to contain the dye. He (I assume Jumbojack is male otherwise apologies on the gender slipup) has added a comment and photos supporting his method on the previous Tool tip # 5 worth and well worth further investigation. So here we go (and this is the last in the Dye Painters Tape series) I set up another test sample, I needed to delineated the area so I drew a semi circle ...

Read this entry »

Part 7: Check out these monsters

225 days ago by robscastle | 2 comments »

Round Over bits 2, 2.5 and 3” ebay $14 to $16 free delivery, (takes a while) but worth the wait. Awaiting delivery of the 3” However here is a test run of the 2.5 in action Picture 1, Tool set up Guards and etc removed as per the usual. I needed to do a glue up the get the size of 64mm approx. Picture 2. Work in progress. Picture 3. Trimmed and finished Picture 4. A close up of the symmetry. Picture 5. ebay details showing the item, the costs, delivery and the su...

Read this entry »

Part 8: Plastic spring hand Clamps

178 days ago by robscastle | 8 comments »

These clamps are in just about every shop, and are useful for all sorts of applications. I was making some veneer inlay strips and decided to use them to clamp the work whilst the glue dried. Well to my surprise they began snapping in various areas. The failures ranged from the tip right back to the pivot point, very odd to say the least. As I had finished work for the day and I was about to bin them when I decided to dismantle them and make two sets from four. Well that wa...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase