LumberJocks

NWGR In and Out trays

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by robscastle updated 06-19-2013 06:36 AM 7 parts 4574 reads 1 comment total

Part 1: Fun in preparing the timber

06-12-2013 11:26 PM by robscastle | 0 comments »

With all the timber now Jointed I sat down and checked the thicknesses of them all.From my measurements I now had timber thickness from a little over 22mm down to 15mm.So I picked out four of the shortest and thinnest to use.I then ran them through the thicknesser and matched them them all to 12mm, (great that will suit my dovetail Jig) and then resawed then them all the same width with the table saw.After that I drum sanded everything incrementally to 240grit.They sanded very well but I not...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Making the base for the trays

06-14-2013 01:53 AM by robscastle | 0 comments »

OK here we go for todays work.It involves selecting some timber for the bases and preparing them with the thicknesser for use.The bases are made from a slab of camphor Laurel.Its large enough to mill down and get three individual bases from it.The slab had a massive twist in it and was almost unsuitable for anything else but cutting into smaller sections.I need to be able to get three pieces about 320mm x 245mm from it.Side A no problems there with sizes I have widths up to 270mm.However Side...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Making the Dovetail Joints

06-16-2013 05:38 AM by robscastle | 0 comments »

I don’t want to bore everybody here with unnecessary explanations of dovetailing terminology or methodology as there is heaps on the net for all to see.For the dovetail joints on the in/out trays I used my Gifkins A10 Dovetail Jig.Its much the same as every other dovetail making Jig apart from the Gifkins jig and materials move over a fixed router/shaper.The jig and I guess just about every other jig required test cuts to be made first to ensure a satisfactory resultant dovetail.So most...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Profiling the sides

06-16-2013 06:44 AM by robscastle | 0 comments »

Well all is advancing and the sides looked a little bland, square and featureless so I decided to do some profiling. I had a bowl cutter and radius bit so I used both of them to produce the following effects. First up the bowl Cutter at work. I used my shaper again to do the work, but to get the cutter to remove a limited amount of material I had to raise the material up on the shapers bed as I could not get the cutter bit to set down low enough.This I did by adding a moving top an...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Routing the frames for the bases

06-16-2013 07:37 AM by robscastle | 0 comments »

I am now at a stage ready to fit the bases I made into the bottom of the three frames.I wanted to make the bases slope backwards into the trays so I set about making yet another jig.Also you may remember I milled the bases down to 5mm. Now this has created a bit of extra work for me as I do not have a 5mm straight router bit. however I do have a spiral bit from my Gifkins starter kit which is 4mm.So with a bit of experimenting I found the only item I had that was close to 1mm was my steel ru...

Read this entry »


Part 6: The glue up process

06-17-2013 08:25 AM by robscastle | 0 comments »

I now have everything ready to glue together.All I need is three band straps, six small clamps a rule and a square and some Titebond III. Tray no 1 The two small clamps hold the front frame onto the baseThe damp sections are where excess glue has been removed. Tray No 2 The front frame under the base was made from an off cut when I trimmed the original stock to size Some chip out work I had the parts inside the bag.Looks like I will have to match up another smaller piece to...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Filling and sanding

06-19-2013 06:36 AM by robscastle | 1 comment »

The trays are now ready for initial sanding inspecting and filling where required. First up its onto the Disk Sander to do the backs and sides of the dovetails The Disk Sander has an 80Grit disk fitted, and it did a good job, although I had to take it very lightly on the end grain to avoid burning the timber. Then it was onto the bench and using my 1/2 sheet sander I set to work Starting off with 180 gritI worked up to 320 gritFinishing with 400 grit I did the cove re...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase