LumberJocks

Making Mouldings

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by robscastle updated 03-23-2015 11:42 PM 7 parts 7404 reads 16 comments total

Part 1: Boat bench Moulding

02-21-2013 03:46 AM by robscastle | 2 comments »

I had a call from a customer who was restoring a boat.They wanted me to make some scotia moulding for a galley bench, my imediate thought was just go and buy it.Anyway the conversation continued on and the dimensions were 140mm x 32mm Tasmanian Oak.Thats certanily bit on the big side and I didnt think you could even buy plaster types that were that big. As they had the material already and I was becoming confused as to just exactly what they wanted I asked if they could drop by to discus...

Read this entry »


Part 2: The mouldings fitted up.

03-28-2013 02:16 AM by robscastle | 0 comments »

A couple of LJs asked about the moulding I made for a boat fit out and if the customer was happy. The answer was yes they were, and I had the opportunity to see the actual boat as well.Its a Millcraft Bay cruiser with a huon pine hull. The fit out is being done in Tassie Oak and is progressing well. Here is the sink/galley where the timber is used. The pictures are a little dark but that’s all I have.I was impressed with the carpenters ability to fit it and maintain the clos...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Making dowel and half dowel on the Router/Shaper

07-11-2013 01:02 AM by robscastle | 0 comments »

It was raining again in Sunny Brisbane and I was bored with PC based woodwork so I decided to test out a few posts regarding making square wood round. So I set up in the garage doorway,.... the nice white canopy you saw I had in the previous moulding blogs was destroyed in the wind, as I put it in the rubbish I saw a note “Do not use in strong wind”, a little bigger or more obvious would have been nice!..anyway… Background:Just about all the router based blogs I read h...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Making biggerer dowels on the shaper

07-11-2013 09:04 AM by robscastle | 4 comments »

Well I was so pleased with the previous dowel making activities and it was such a nice day I decided to continue and progress to some Big stock using my 3/4” round over bit. Background:Nothing much different to report on here than before, apart from the fact I need to mention that the blogs I read all seemed to use incremental cuts to produce the final result rather than just one run. Materials: From my stock I found some Oregon a suitable size for experimenting onThat’s it...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Rebating Round Stock on the Shaper

08-26-2013 11:14 AM by robscastle | 4 comments »

A bit of an Introduction I had a request form my wife Aurora. “Can you make me a box to put my lunch gear in the car so it doesn’t tip over?” Of course I can dear was my automated reply! So I set to work measuring everything up and making a design, I decide to use some ply sheet and cut it up initially with my power saw, what a horrible edge it left! I wanted to do something special so I decided I had enough round moulding stock I had made previously.All I nee...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Kiefers pyramids or diamonds

03-17-2015 01:35 AM by robscastle | 2 comments »

No doubt you would have seen the 1882 box and the left over pieces Klaus used in the Timber Light tea lights just recently. The craftsmanship is nothing short of excellent, and hence inspiring to the likes of me. Being so impressed with the effect I was inqusitive enough to attempt to find out how it was done. In the meantime I decided to attempt to reproduce them on my table saw. Here is the results of my experiments:- Attempt 1 I used a scraps of timber as I did not expect...

Read this entry »


Part 7: More contrasting pyramids from kiefers work

03-23-2015 11:42 PM by robscastle | 4 comments »

Well again a brilliant post by Kiefer has motivated me to try and discover the hidden skills of fine wood working. This blog is a direct result of seeing the SAPPORO project. Not being content with just seeing the work I was curious as to how it was done, so again I set to work attempting to replicate some masterful work. I glued up a couple of bits of off cut Camphor Laurel and a piece of good old Aussie Gum ( may be yellow stringy bark not really sure) I had planned to use t...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com