Today I commenced making a base for my sons New 1500 mm x 1500mm Dining Table.
Originally he was going to fabricate a metal base however after seeing “Wally’s Huon Beams” he decided I should do it instead!
He sent me the design of what he was going to build and asked it I could use the beams and make it in wood.
making the vertical post 150mm x 150mm the legs 1m x 150mm x 75mm and the support braces 100mm x 70mm.
I agreed of course, what else had I to do but work out with these beams at my age!
I wrestled the beam up onto my combination saw and set it up to cut it so I had the pieces into more managable sizes
Now this turned out to be quite a challange due to the size of my saw and the material I was trying to cut.
I needed to make three cuts so I had a datum point to reset the position of the blade accurately as I turned the beam, it took quite a lot of positioning and checking to get the most accurate cut possible.
I achieved about half a kerf accuracy and reasonable squareness in the process.
Next just to really push the envelope I needed 45 degree cuts on each of the two base pieces.
The results were not quite as accurate this time adding also an extra step as well which required final cutting with a hand saw to complete the cuts.
and another view
Then it was on to cutting the Half Lap Joint.
I used my table saw to do this mainly for accuracy and ease of cutting.
This task took quite a bit of time and needed some fine tuning to get the fit I wanted.
I then dry assembled the legs and sat the vertical post in place.
I looked at it and thought it was too big and too ugly and was a waste of timber.
However I pressed on and cut the feet in and reduced the overall height of the feet.
To cut the feet pads I used the table saw to make four rip cuts and two cross cuts again finishing with a panel saw. As I worked away thinking how hard it was a thought entered my head as to how Noah managed to make his Ark, this made me feel a bit more confident and I pressed on.
After that I then dry assembled everything again and looked at it, thinking ithis time it was begining to look OK after all.
Next I cut the vertical post to size and started on the diagonal braces.
Again this process required duplicated work, cutting the 45 deg angles on the combination saw, then using the panel saw to complete the cut, then and added step of sanding off the differences in kerfs.
I again dry assembled the base and tacked the diagonals in place to check what it would look like.
This time I was more impressed with the build
I think it had turned out OK after all
The work again exceeded my skills and definately pushed my basic tools to the limit.
I now have to figure out how to fasten everything together, all a bit beyond my 25 to 32mm screws!!
I must say my Ozito combination saw worked really well for a el cheapo DIY item!
Needless tosay if this was timber other than Huon pine the results would have been some what different.
-- Regards Robert