I released the clamps this morning and with the help of my wife got the table top up onto some temporary stands, they are simply four metal table frames 600mm x 600mm each so I just taped the four center legs together to make a work platform
Using my building square and tape measure I checked the table for overall dimensions and squarness.
Sure enough the diagonal measurements showed it was out of square by about 10mm.
So after doing some more precise measurements I set up my saw guide and used my 7 1/4 circular saw to trim the table top and square it.
A note here I had to invert the table face down to remove any chance of splintering by the circular saw as it rotates the same as a table saw but up upside down.
I didnt take any pictures of this process, maybe beacuse I was a bit nervous doing it.
However as a result I was able to achieve squareness to about 1mm so I was happy to leave it alone at that amount of error.
A note added: If you are wondering what I have on the corner I was experinenting with some timber to see how the edging would look.
I then set up my 1/2” Router and rabbet bit to cut the “tongue” profile edge I did a test cut on some of the offcuts and determined 8mm was a good division of the timber,
I “flipped” it over and did the oppisite edge, mind you it was no easy feat as it was so big and risked breaking it in half if I tried to turn it by its side rather than its edge however with the help of my “assistant” again we did it.
As I was rabbeting the other edge all went went until I felt the router kick a bit.
Upon stopping and checking I found the tongue of which the bearing was using as a guide had splintered out and ruined the edge.
This completely deflated me and I wondered what I could do
Upon checking close by I saw a lesser splinter effect as well (no doubt the grain was reversed on this piece)
I stopped work and went and made a coffee pondering as to just how I was going to fix it.
It really got to me and I lost a lot of my motivation when it happened, however after walking away for a while I considered the only possible fix was to carefully reroute the tongue to remove the defect divot and then re rabbet the edge again.
I spent quite a lot of time measuring/checking and setting up before I was confident my fix would work
Sure enough I managed to fix it but decided to put it all away for the day and continue later.
I am used to moving sheet material around on my own and had the little “skateboard” under it to get it back inside and then put it into the wedge clamps.
well tomorrows is another day I guess, boo hiss!!
-- Regards Robert