I needed to see if I could make some door trim Corner Blocks for a house
The job has been on the back burner for some time as I couldnt figure out how to do it.
The router bit I have is called a Dragon Ball and its 2” or 50 mm diameter not some thing you could put in a hand held router.
I initally tried my drill press but it was an outright all round fail, not enough RPM, not enough power, so that idea was scrapped almost as quickly as it started.
I then decided to mount it in my shaper/moulder and try again. As this was almost the opposite setup from before I didnt hold too much hope on it.
Well it actually worked albeit I could not see what I was doing
I checked the Shaper manual to see if there was any reference to the amount of rise and fall of the spindle in relation to the handle rotation, nil and expected as I am using the machine outside its primary design.
With a series of mount ups, cuts and then dismounts and checks I eventually came up with a satisfactory result.
This is the test piece I lashed up as I was concerned about not having enough bulk I had clamps holding it to the fence,and a massive block at the end.
I marked the handle of the moulder with some masking tape as an index and then selected some scrap to do a production run on.
This is the second run setup.
I spaced the material off the top so I could see the setup before turning the machine on
The scrap timber was originally longer and as I cut the profile I cut the completed individual corners off with the saw.
The final result
So I cut a set
The process worked well for soft wood and didnt require too much setting up.
Tearout, looks like I will have to factor in some rejects due to tearout and chattering in the final production run.
-- Regards Robert