You may have seen the Kiefers KKO Box I made from some flooring offcuts.
Well I collected a couple more tubs of Blackbutt offcuts at the next visit.
They were all about 295 mm and smaller in length, and were going to be dumped/burnt.
So setting to work.
I resawed the ones which were about 295mm square and then reduced them to an overall length of 270mm each with the view to making a outdoor table top.
The shorter ones less than 270mm became half sections at 135mm for the pattern.
The existing table top you see under the material was made from Craftwood and MDF it was originally a torsion bench design and had a wood finish contact applied over it.
It may have looked OK originally but when it got wet it turned to cardboard held together with the plactic!
Definately not a weather proof design.
Once I had everything layed out I then substituted pieces to attempt to match the grain and colour features.
Here is a close up of what I was attempting to blend out, or in along with any defects, by substituting pieces which match.
This took quite a bit of time “fiddling” and resulted in religating about 30% to the waste bin as rejects.
I collected the table from kerbside rubbish and am thinking maybe it should have stayed there, as I am making progress but it slow and I get splinters every time I touch it.
I dont know the exact name but is an Australian Hardwood Gum variety, of which I will ask the common name for and add it to the build information as it progresses.
Ed Note 28 May2016 The timber is Blackbutt
The splinters get a mention also, I do know the splinters although small are so painful you need to stop to remove them to continue work undistracted!
It may go back on the kerb when completed! we shall see!
-- Regards Robert