I havent had much time to play with my Ute box the last few days so today I manage to get a bit of “my time” in on it
I made the frame for the lid and the fitted the curved insert, that was about all, a bit of filling to get the dimensions right but enjoyable.
The frame I cut on the table saw and glued up in the morning, I did a prototype to ensure it would fit together correctly first up. All was good so the frame was cut and glued.
The basic shape is a Tee but the lip for the insert is a different dimension to the overlapping edge for the box, this was done for weatherproofing.
I was going to cut everyting on the table saw first up but decided against it and cut the lid insert with a router and rabbet bit later after the glue up tracing the exact outline of the curved section.
The reason for this was to get an exact fit into the frame without any more ugly gaps
As the bit gave rounded corners I decided to sand the corners to match the profile.
This went well and I had to only plane a few spots to get a drop in fit.
Now if you were wondering why there is a trimmer and router in the picture its because tragedy struck
My beloved Ryobi router which I have been giving a flogging for who knows how many years today decided to smoke up mid work and I had to finish off with the trimmer.
Now in the Routers defence Its been on the critical list for some time as I had to flick the router bit and hit the switch at the same time and away it would go! the brushes were OK so I could not determine what was wrong with it and I had a good work around.
Looks like an armature short as the field coils were OK.
So Its dead, and maybe a good thing…..shopping!!
Anyway back to the blog I then set everything on the box to check its assembly before glueing it in and profiling the edges.
Its a good result today.
-- Regards Robert