Today had me marking out the 45 Deg cutouts for the lid body and the two ends.
Then it was time to cut them out.
I mulled over how I could do this accurately, using a jig saw, power saw or just a plain hand saw.
I decided to use my table saw but in hindsight I should have used a hand saw it would have been a lot easier and produce a more accurate result, and less kerf wastage!
In using my table saw and I tell you, trying to man handle pieces of this size on a small table saw was a challenge to say the least, I guess thats where a radial arm saw earns its keep, nothing moves but the saw blade.
Anyway I set to work, the results as you can see were less than perfect.
Once I got everything cut out I then used four No 20 biscuits in each end to provide alignment and support for the end pieces, even cutting those in was a challenge, then attempting to assemble everything required me having to rubber mallet everything in.
However I did get them all in.
One end was a better fit than the other so lots of glue and sawdust was used to fill the gaps.
Here is the B end in
And the A end in
I put them aside for the day and sanded them in the afternoon
The A end sanded
then the B End sanded
What it looks like on the inside
The A End
The B End
And the overall Result just sitting in place.
The amount of kerf loss is noticable if you take a look at the corners, its no real issue as the lid insert will be trimmed to fit the frame, which is next.
A bit of a raggedy effort but I eventuallymanaged to produce a “just workable ” result.
There is no doubt there are some things you should not try to build in your backyard!!
-- Regards Robert