We left off the Chest yesterday after making the 6×30mm Drawers and me being unhappy with the results.
Well today I revisited the joints and the mess I had made of them. Rather than scrap the lot and do finger joints I opted to attempt a workable repair.
This took quite a lot of self encouragement as I didnt think it was at all achieavable however I was wrong.
How I did it:-
1 I examined all the six drawers and the missmatched sections and marked the sections of material needing removal to effect a level fitup.
2. I used a sacrificial off cut first up to perfect the procedure and to re set the Gifkins jig and recut the piece to fit the missmatched pins at the new setting.
3. Fitted it up and found that I could again remove more material to better correct the missmatch.
4. I did this and produced an acceptable result abeit the joints were now much looser.
5. Then set to work on the individual pieces needing rework.
Here are the inital raw results
The A sides.
The B sides.
The C sides.
and finally the D sides.
I was happy with the preliminary work and continued on finishing all the drawers..
A reasonable raw result was obtained.
So it was off for a lunch break pleased with the results.
-- Regards Robert