LumberJocks

Working with recycled timber #35: 1800 x700 Work bench

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 02-16-2015 06:27 AM 1755 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 34: A Gate for No 1 Son Part 35 of Working with recycled timber series Part 36: AKs ToolMakers Chest the begining Pt 1 »

I have an ongoing problem with too many wood working Project Creations too much WW materials and not enough room.
There is very little I can do to improve the situation but dump “stuff” or work out a better storage system.
Dumping is not an option as I may as well give away my beloved woodworking activities, so this is what I did.

I had lots of recycled timber so I chose to convert them it into a work bench, thinking I could solve both problems at once so its really a storage bench for the time being.

I used 90mm x 45mm pine pieces as the frame and a recycled laminated desk top for the top surface and recycled melamine coated particle board for the lower shelf.

I built a bench similar to this one some time ago and copied its dimensions but has issues with the center saging.
Read as overloaded with stuff!.

This posed a problem for me second time around as I did not want 6 legs, meaning I had 4 x on each corner and 2 x in the middle front and back as I saw them as limiting my ability to utilise the 1800mm open length.

I eventually went with 5 x legs one centerally located as a compromise.

This is how I did it

I built a basic frame using the recycled timber I has stashed away, cut up all the respective parts and then joinedthem all together with decking screws and Titebond glue.

I put a cross beam in the middle of the top and used a modified bridle joint to fit leg No 5.

This leg would support the top and prevent sagging no problems but not the bottom shelf so I decided to add a stopped housing jointoff this leg for the bottom shelf support.

The whole center leg is removable as I was concerned as to getting it in the doorway once completed.

Removable meaning there is a single screw holding the bridle joint to the top cross member and screws on the outside of the two horizontal sections supporting the lower shelf supports only, its a interference fit at the stopped joint at the center.

Opps No 1 If you wondered what the work below the stopped housing joint is well its a classic measure twice cut once situation. It looked terrible so I filled it with off cuts.

The End legs were fairly straight forward,

The bottom shelf I made from two sections of melamine Particle board, as these were again recycled I was restricted in the width I wanted, by the time I squared them they wereonly 680mm deep (rats, needed 720mm ideal)

Opps No 2 I cut both pieces together to length on the table saw and cut the recesses for the center leg and the two respective end legs, by measuring from one end only, silly move!

Upon fit up only one fitted perfectly. How could this be I wondered and set about trying to find the error.

After running the tape back and forth I found the culprit, it was the center leg! it was offsest at the bridle joint!

The perils of working with recycled materials.

Now this now was most annoying as I had no more materials to be able to fix it, so I had to now add bits to the rebate gap on the slelving ends.

With this fixed I added the top,

Opps No 3 Now I find one leg was proud about 1mm, Oh no! what else could go wrong! as I had glued the legs on earlier removal was not an option.

So after some severe talking to myself I decided to use my trusty Japanese Pull saw to fix the problem.

The Fix
I sat a section of wood as a datum point and sawed off the offending protrusion !

This got me out of jail quite well Thank god for Pull saws,an easy fix!

With all completed it was time to install the bench…... where is No4 Son when you need him! (Gone Back Home)

Aurora and I got it in no problems and as I fitted the table top in situ the removable leg issue was a non event

Well I still dont have any where near the amount of free space I thought it would create, I simply piled more junk on it.
So it looks like an ebay sell off of my treasured creations is the order !!

Enjoy!

-- Regards Robert



3 comments so far

View degoose's profile

degoose

7196 posts in 2815 days


#1 posted 02-16-2015 07:51 AM

You have been busy….

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View stefang's profile

stefang

15512 posts in 2795 days


#2 posted 02-16-2015 05:21 PM

Solutions usually lead to new problems Rob, but you are on the right track with your new and improved bench!

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View BobWemm's profile

BobWemm

1804 posts in 1387 days


#3 posted 02-17-2015 05:39 AM

Neat job Rob,
Space is always a problem. Even a bigger shed wont solve it because you just get more “Stuff” and it will be full again.
Just like mine.

Bob.

-- Bob, Western Australia, The Sun came up this morning, what a great start to the day. Now it's up to me to make it even better. I've cut this piece of wood 4 times and it's still too damn short.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com