So much for making a box from a single piece of wood.
Here I am and already I have used all of the original Myrtle, added a veneer inlay and now working on the lid.
Rummaging through my box making pieces, I obtained from Degoose I find a suitable piece to make a lid for the box.
I am not sure what the timber is but it looked OK and suitable, so onto the table saw it went.
The timber was trimmed removing the split ends and then squared up using the saw.
Cutting the Rebate:
I measured the box opening and marked out a suitable rebate to allow it to fit inside.
The rebate was cut with the table saw and then after checking the fit I commenced the lid top profiling.
I set the blade angle to 15 degs and started the cuts.
Then it was on to the commencement of sanding a suitable profile, for this I used my disk sander to produce a rough profile rounded to suit the box base.
Once I had that done it was time for final hand sanding.
I initally hand sanded it with 120 Grit and fitted it all up to ensure all was good.
Here is a shot of the rebate.
After taking a look at it I thought the lid mass was too heavy, so I decided to remove some material using a forstner bit.
I then had the silly idea of removing all the mateial to the dept of the forstner bit cuts.
So I made a frame around it thinking I could route out the excess material upside down without being able to see the bit.
This was not one of the smartest of my ideas ideas as removing the material inside using a down cut spiral bit without being able to see what was going on, worked but it failed as the ends broke out ruining all the work.
So it was a trip to the rubbish bin and then time for a complete remake, this time I reduced the lid thickness and replicated the 15 Deg profile.
This was the result for Lid No 2.
And again showing the rebate.
I think the second lid produced a box with a nicer lower profile looking lid and didnt look anywhere like a minature casket that I had with lid No 1.
For the bottom I added yet another piece of timber by using a piece of 6 mm MDF.
Timber count is now 4 Frame 1 Veneer Insert 2 MDF Base 3 and the final Lid 4.
Its almost finished, cannot say the same for the clean up !!
Stand by for the finishing process.
-- Regards Robert