Today I decided to progress the “real” Maloof stool I began in June.
I started off doing the rear legs however I must have had some sort of lapse of the brain as I cut the legs out on the bandsaw first, why I did it who knows I had already made a prototype as well!
So after I realised the monumental error of having no datum surfaces to work with I had to Double Side Tape them and the off cuts back together again temporarly.
A vist to the sander returned a level working surface again Phew Saved!!
So I then set to work cutting the resesses and grooves for the seat attachment
This went reasonably well and needless to say the seat or base was progressed concurrently,
This provided exact mating surfces to they could be constantly checked for fit as I progressed.
The rear legs rebate (under way)
Here is the seat and rear legs as they are dry fitted
The rear view
The left view
The right view
Then it was on to the front legs
This time I did all the joint work first and then bandsawed the profiles !!
I regretted having different length wings on the sides as it made duplication difficult and quite nerve wracking to ensure I didnt miss cut any thing.
I was almost finished and I screwed up again!
This time I had just enough material to allow me to cut off the incorrect rebated joint and start over…. plucked it again !!
I used Double Sided Tape and replicated all the original cuts from the good leg. Take a look at the top and there is an odd radius, its the remains of my re work, I only just had enough material to pull this move off and it will get profiled out at the finishing stage.
Then bandsawed the rough profile
Again I used the seat to precisely match the corresponding joints as I went.
With that done it was time to profile the seat edge features and fit it all together for a dry fit up test
The stool in its raw form
The back will be the next stage and profiling the seat area.
It took me all day toget to this stage so I called it quits for the afternoon.
-- Regards Robert