LumberJocks

New Guinea Rosewood Boxes #4: Routing the side and end features

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 08-06-2014 08:36 AM 1152 reads 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Bases made and The Dovetail Joints glued up and sanded Part 4 of New Guinea Rosewood Boxes series Part 5: Sanding and finishing »

Well it was time to add some character to the boxes

I really wanted to insert Walnut medalions but it was a bit advanced for me so I opted for routing profiles instead.

I spent most of the day making the routing template and modifing and rejiging it to do all the work in one process.

First up I attended to the little chip outs here and there,and acknowledging DAC’s suggestion to use NGR sawdust was heeded.

I gathered up some sanding residue and used Titebond III to prepare my mixture.
In hindsight I should have used II as it almost set before I was finished.

While all that was drying I began making the routing template.

Here is the original basic concept.

Upon marking out the final work it was evident this needed modifiying

Not confined to just one edge either

So it was re measured and was duly modified

This time all was …”go for throttle up”!

Believe it or not as meticilous as I was in measuring everything if you reversed the template it was out by a couple of mm hence the “Top” marking applied

Time to do some real work

I had to complete the cross grain cuts in several passes.

Then advance to the next stage.

I needed to add a leveling filler as my router base was too small on the long runs

Working away I progressed well on the sides.

Next it was the ends turn, and the jig was re jigged to suit the end dimensions.

This was simply a matter of centralising the jig on the ends and adding retaining pieces and setting off the original router guides. I measured everything up and simply brad nailed the fillers in place.

The mark out this time was OK

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n9vleqi.jpg!

Then a repeat of the process to do the ends was conducted.

I encountered some “furry” results on some of the cuts. Not really sure why as they appeared at random.
Even Re routing and back routing did not remove the effect.

I made a custom “Fur” removal block and it worked well on the sides but then the effect reappeard on the ends I found some green nylon scouring pad ( liberated fromthe kitchen) worked well! Amazing results.
looks like I will have to go kitchen shopping to restock Aurora’s supply

(Maybe a new woodworking discovery here fellow LJ’s !!)

The final results of my days work messing up the garden with NGR Chips, ...it sure smells nice anyway !!


I was impressed with my results, not a un fixable error all day !!

So I decided to sand one side just to see what the final result may look like.
This is the result of sanding stages up to 1200 grit

The light may have beaten me but I think you can see a difference.

NGR beautiful to work with !!....smells great …. bloody messy though !!

Enjoy…. I did!

Edit Note: Its not a “Regrooving” Bit but a 90 deg Grooving bit, amazing what you can see with glasses on!!

-- Regards Robert



7 comments so far

View littlecope's profile

littlecope

2972 posts in 2255 days


#1 posted 08-06-2014 08:58 AM

These are coming along Great Rob, the Routed “Panels” give them a very distinctive (and distinguished) look…
I can hardly wait until you start applying the finish… That will be a “Wow!” moment!

-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

4940 posts in 2635 days


#2 posted 08-06-2014 12:07 PM

Looking good Rob.
Routing recesses like that is really scary. You did well.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View stefang's profile

stefang

13633 posts in 2087 days


#3 posted 08-06-2014 01:27 PM

Looking good Robert. here is another way to close up gaps around dovetails. You need to leave the dovetails protruding slightly to get use of this technique, so I always mark my shoulders about 1/32” wider than the thickness of the box sides.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

7950 posts in 2805 days


#4 posted 08-06-2014 03:01 PM

Looking Better, Robert!

Really COOL router work! What type of bit did you use?

One way to remove the Furry stuff is to make a final Skim cut of only a small amount… maybe 1/32 or less…
Knocks the stuff right off!

Now, what are you going to do next? LOL :)

You’re doing GREAT!

Thank you!

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: http://www.WoodworkStuff.net ... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?ppuser=1389&cat=500"

View David Dean's profile

David Dean

540 posts in 1652 days


#5 posted 08-06-2014 07:53 PM

that’s diffent.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

1881 posts in 957 days


#6 posted 08-06-2014 09:37 PM

Wow what a response !!

Its obvious LJ readers enjoyed the work as much as I did , thank you all. I am just waiting for TAG to see them as he was the inspiration.

Joe:
The router bit was a tungsten tipped 1/2” regrooving bit, but in hindsight maybe I should have used its companion the combination bit.

Stefang:
I sent you a PM.

-- Regards Robert

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

1881 posts in 957 days


#7 posted 08-08-2014 10:31 AM

Edit Note: Its not a “Regrooving” Bit but a 90 deg Grooving bit, amazing what you can see with glasses on!!

-- Regards Robert

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase