Work is progressing on the Piggy Bank Money boxes.
I started with the ears, and found out after lots of experimental processes that nothing beats a simple procedure.
First up I tried to make them using my spindle moulder/shaper and various cutter profiles .
I found none were really producing anything that looked OK and was reproducable so I opted to just sand the edges.
That seemed to produce a good result in reasonable time. The sawdust on one ears is to fill a bit of tear out I experienced.
And looking closely at the other pig you can see the wedge I stuck in its back at to repair the sand through previously reported.
I used my forstner bit to recess the area of base to get a reasonably good and tight glue fit.
I used a forstner bit again to recess a small area for the “wobbly eyes” I had in my craft box
The interesting aspect I found when selecting the size the big eyes looked really out of place and the intermediate sizes were cartoonish so it was the small eyes I eventually decided on.
Well it was reasonably easy, just some more shaping on the sander linisher belt to get them from oval to round and out with the “Dremmel” and a round ball bit to produce the Nasal openings.
Here they are side by side both displaying that they both have some unique features
Just as I was almost complete when the Dermel chattered in on of the openings and tore out some material so a Nose job needed to be done.
Nothing too serious so I looked in the scrap box for some suitable material, sanded a slight taper on the end and
“Stuck it up his Nose”!
-- Regards Robert