An absolutley brilliant winters Day here in Brisbane, and although I dont usually disturb the peace of a Sunday I decided to do some more work on the prototype stool..
First up I forgot to post a picture of the rough stock I made the stool from.
So here is a reconstiited section fro the original 4 m piece
From it I resawed everything to make the stool.
Now onward to the front legs
I marked out a rough concept and cut them out with the bandsaw.
Both legs are clamped together to do the cutout.
To allow the tenons to be cut accurately I left the original stock on the end so I could use it as a datum point
I then did a fitup up to see what they looked like
I had some minor chip out but nothing worth worrying about it will get profiled out.
I did have a serious lapse of concentration and cut a deep groove in one leg. rats I will have to shim it out
otherwise all went reasonably well again.
The perils of using timber so soft chip outs are very easy to do, even with a backing block fracturing was still occuring.
Next I profiled the seat area and did a dry fit up.
Here is where I am up to today.
The back of the stool is just clamped on for effect at this stage.
Lots of work ahead sanding the profiles and making everything smooth.
Overall a resonably pleasing few hours, I guess now the real work starts in the final assembly and finishing it to an acceptable standard.
-- Regards Robert