I kinda chickened out making the “good” stool just yet, and knocked up some Camphor Laurel to do a prototype, read as a nervous departure from the final product!
Here is the current result having made the base/seat and rough out of the two back legs.
This is a side view of the legs just dry fitted at this stage
I am not overly worried about the overlap as it will be profiled down at a later stage
However I need to pay more attebtion to cutting detail as here there is too much gap, and it may not clamp out at glue up
The process, apart from the preparation of the materials I drew up the leg profiles and cut out the seat base area
I then cut one edge profile off each leg, with the bandsaw, then and did some more research on just how I could do the joint.
With a little more knowledge and confidence off I went again.
I cut the legs on a table saw and the base was initally table sawed then routed.
Once I had the first leg fitted and accurate I effectively duplicated the second leg mirror image fashion.
I then clamped the two legs together and bandsawed the rough final profile.
Fitted them up and examined my work. (attached photos)
A bit rough in places but progressing reasonably well.
I noticed there was an abnormally large amount of material in the waste bin, so its a bit of a hungry wood method to produce a chair this way.
-- Regards Robert