After doing some experiments with Sam Maloof’s signature joints, I decided to try a small project.
The reason being, doing a single joint in isolation is not really testing your skills, apart from providing the evidence you may have the capability to progress further, so lets see.
Making one off furniture in my mind is not something I would normally undertake, mainly because its attempting to compete with the finish, and cost of mass produced furniture.
So keeping that in mind why did I decide to undertake a task possibly doomed to failure for many reasons?
Simply beacause of the reason I wanted to see if I could actually do it, and also wanted to have a bit of fun in the process.
Post Addition: Here is an even better reason.
I found this comment whilst researching Sams work.
He never wavered from his contemporary design, even when wood furniture lost favor in the plastic-and-chrome 1960s, ‘70s and ‘80s.
He said the coldness of factory-made furniture could not compare in warmth and character to wood that a craftsman worked on from start to finish.
So here we go
8 x lengths of Cherry Sticks ( or posibly European walnut) supplied from Lazy Larrys Woodworks
I jointed and thicknessed the material to suit the stock.
4 x for the seat which were glued together and 4 x individual pieces for the legs.
I cut a section off the end of the seat sections prior to the glue up to make the back rest.
This allowed me to hopefully match the grain from the seat base and allow it to continue onto the back rest.
I cut the edges of the backrest pieces at 5 deg and the ends at 5 deg reverse.
Then applied some titebond III and a shock cord to hold them together.
The bases I aligned the grain as best as possible and butt jointed them with the same glue
Once the Back rest was set I bandsawed the edges to a rough curve then used and Osc sander to sand it to an acceptable pre finish
This is a couple of shots of the general layout, I will cut the rubbish off two legs destinied for the front of the stool
Its my intention to do a double radius joint at the back and have the legs curve back and away from the seat.
Then a single radius for the front corner legs having them curve forward.
I do not think I have enough material thickness to splay the legs out side ways.
Thats all for today.
I shall do more and post an ongoing blog as work permits.
-- Regards Robert