I took photos of the “finished” Pallet Timber Low Table today and was going to post it as a finished project, but after seeing it in the bright sunlight I had second thoughts.
The finish was not as expected, even after four coats sanding in between the finish was less than acceptable.
That was after taking into consideration all the spots I had missed!
The overall finish is poor even after I took just about every measure possible to prevent airborne particles.
The gap on the hinged top is ugly to say the least.
It certainly is not opening to 95 degrees at the moment.
I was reluctant to increase the gap even more without accurate knowledge of how to do so.
I will buy another set of these hinges and replicate the pivot and then incrementally remove material to allow 95 degs of movement in an effort to determine a satisfactory gap.
At present the hinged top stay the way it is for now.
The fixed section of the top is held in place by pocket hole screws fitted from underneath.
The inner section of the lid requires lining as its also ugly in this situation.
The lining is a seude material mounted on 3mm MDF and interference fit installation so it can be removed for maintenance and/or changed later if required
The finish I used was Feast Watsons Varnish and stain Black Japan, prompted from a Woodsmith article in issue 107
The current finish, if you could call it that,
Well I am going to put it away for now and revisit it later, after I conduct some hinge tests first.
Then re visit and repaint for the fifth time if only to see if I can get a nice shine! otherewise its on the footpath!!
-- Regards Robert