Nice day today, great weather and Mothers Day as well.
Managed to get some woodworking in without drawing the crabs noise wise on Sunday.
The construction of the table top required some lengths of 19mm thick pine to be purchased.
The quality left a lot to be desired and I think 30% ended up as scrap.
Any way I chose to build it using a reverse glue joint, spent quite a bit of time setting up a perfect match up.
Its a bit suitable for widths from14mm to 40 mm, you obviously need a backing guide if the timber doesn’t touch the bearing.
After a few test cuts and adjustment I had a acceptable joint.
So on with the construction.
To get a stable construction of the lid I decided to do two sections of 19mm timber.
I selected the best looking boards for the top face using reverse glue joints all round.
I then added the bottom sections to provide enough thickness to look acceptable.
These were butt joined and had screws inserted for a good joint,allof which can be removed later.
The base section has a wide board to provide a cut section for the hinges.
All have an overlap between the top and bottom for strength.
If anybody asks why you have so many clamps, well here is an example of why
Opps must have forgotten to take a final picture showing the 16 clamps.
Next was a sand and rounding of the edges, started at 80G then moved on to 120G first up
Then a fill of the annoying holes
That’s was enough for today off for a Mothers day coffee with Aurora.
-- Regards Robert