I was looking at TAGs twin boxes, (Pair of Thea/jewelry boxes) they impressed me with the simple design of the frame.
The lids I didn’t even attempt to replicate TAGs effort on my lids but you will see the resemblance when completed.
I started off with the medallions for the lids as I had a piece of walnut I wanted to use which would determine the final size.
I inadvertently sawed the walnut up then realised I had not jointed them, so I used some Liquid hide glue to re-join them temporarily so I could joint them.
After jointing next came the book matching it was as best as possible as I could get and I was on my way.
Here is a couple of close up shots.
I used Titebond III.
Once it was dry I then sanded the surfaces and hard burnished the complete piece.
I did this thinking it would be easier than trying to do it all later.
The next step was making the frames, for this I used some NGR Stock.
I did a round over on the top outer edge and rebated a section underneath to allow a lip to seat on the completed box.
I was originally going to rebate the medallions in but realised that the frame was now not thick enough to do this.
So I did some rethinking about adding framing to allow the rebates, but it all got a bit too hard for me so I opted for straight butt joint.
Here are the lids at their initial glue up stage.
The custom wood working weights are a specialised item available from exclusive Gardening outlets!
And again after sanding, also showing the rebate lip
I lost a lot of the hard burnishing effect but it should not be too hard to redo
This is the under side showing the lid rebate.
I only hope the glue does its job as there is not a lot of room for movement.
-- Regards Robert