Today I started the design and build up of the internal trays.
The overall concept is two trays the lower the deepest with central dividers to allow easy removal.
After doing some sketches and trying to determine a practical solution it was back to cutting curved profiles for the fronts.
I wanted to avoid this process and use kerf sawn curved sections, but my inexperience in doing timber 10 to 12mm sections saw me returning to cutting the fronts on the bandsaw.
I wanted to avoid having to veneer the trays but did not have enough stock to use NG Rosewood all round.
So it will be more veneering of the front and top of the trays at least.
I also was wanting to step back from veneering mainly due to the tearout I was experiencing.
The reason for this is not that it will not happen again but the apparent inability to be able to buy Hot Hide Glue and its associated accessories in Brisbane.
It seems that you can buy the Glue no worries but the brushes glue pot and other components are not available any where.
So my thoughts were to avoid veneering until I can repair any damage reasonably easly rather than have to resort to chiselling out Titebond glue, the glue is great don’t get me wrong, but not if rework is required like veneer chip out.
Anyway back to the tray work.
I screwed together enough jointed stock to do both trays, and then cut the first profile on the band saw using my cardboard profiles.
Once I made the first cut I realised it would be best to sand both together before separating,
So an additional oscillating sander step occurred before both were then cut out as individual fronts.
It was then on to determining the grain layout for the NG rosewood I wanted to use on the sides and back.
Enough prattle here are the results in a reasonable sequence.
The front stock jointed and ready to cut
The first cut completed.
The NGR Frame work layout.
The grain layout was my primary concern so I laid out the tray to allow the grain to run continuously from the front side to the back and complementary side.
Now cutting rebates on curved timber was another brain teaser for me.
How I did it was a fairly simple solution, I used my drop saw with a preset depth and a backing board as a guide.
Next process will be dovetailing the back to the sides and then matching the sides to the front section for fit .
I am thinking rebated butt joints. Lets see what evolves!!
-- Regards Robert