I haven’t been doing too much today apart from tidying up.
You can only shuffle stuff about from one spot to other before boredom sets in.
So I found this piece of wood as I was tidying up and thought I would turn it into some box stock.
It was a bit raggedy but I thought I may be able to get enough timber to make a box.
So as I had jointed it already I simply rolled out my band saw and rule to determine if I could get three slices about 10mm and enough for the base. The timber was 46.8mm thick so I determined I could get 3 x pieces at 14mm and 1 x at 5mm which would give me enough material to make the front back and sides with a base at least.
Here is the stock.
Its Camphor Laurel and has a rough life, tickled with a chain saw by the looks and broken off at the other end
After measuring it up I set up the saw and began cutting.
I wanted to maintain a very accurate cut as I didnt have too much excess to play with so I withdrew it and made the second cut before completing the first, this was done to maintain stability.
Then worked my way through both.
The thickest part in the middle will become one side and the base.
I laid out the re saw work to have a look at what I finished up with.
Then it was simply a matter of ripping suitable widths and then cutting off the rubbish to determine the lengths.
I think I have enough to be able to make a small box.
With that all done I decided to put a new blade on the bandsaw and finished for the day.
Stay tuned for the next progress report
-- Regards Robert