LumberJocks

Veneer inlay work #4: The Veneer work end results

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 296 days ago 751 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: An interesting link Part 4 of Veneer inlay work series no next part

This session of my 2013 Inlay work is now complete.

Here are the results I obtained.

Ebony and Pine Veneer

The ebony and pine I glued up did not match very well sawn into blocks so rather than waste it I just re sawed it into strips.

Walnut Cherry Silky Oak and Pine Veneer.

The Walnut Cherry Silky Oak and Pine was cut into 20 deg sections re glued and then re sawn.
It produced a reasonable result however it had a few “mouse holes in it of which will need wood filler to correct it upon use.

Its a bit hard to see but most of the pine edging evident in the glue up, was sawn off in the final processing




A lesson I learned here is, make the edging material as wide as possible as I only just had enough width come edge alignment time.

Purple heart Silky Oak and Pine Veneer.

The Purple heart Silky Oak Pine was re sawn as per the photos and although its only a small lot, it will make an attractive banding for a small box or similar Project.

Aust Red Cedar Veneer.

While I was on a roll I cut up an off cut of some Australian Red Cedar I used on the cupboard restoration, to use as veneer strips.

All the materials used were an accumulation of off cuts of a suitable size for veneer making.

-- Regards Robert



4 comments so far

View shipwright's profile

shipwright

4931 posts in 1432 days


#1 posted 295 days ago

You’ve been having fun haven’t you?
I find I get a real sense of satisfaction from making my own bindings, the problem is the more intricate they are the more fun they are but at the same time the less practical when you can buy them made up.
Is that a catch 22?

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fiberglass trees. http://prmdesigns.com/

View stefang's profile

stefang

12947 posts in 1968 days


#2 posted 295 days ago

Very nice result Robert. it looks like fun. That’s a good tip about leaving extra to all for matching. I have a computer program to plan it out, but I haven’t used it yet.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

1646 posts in 838 days


#3 posted 295 days ago

Paul and Mike

Yep it was quite rewarding, one I didn’t document was a “dice” block which I made some 6mm round ebony and timber blocks, well I spent a heap of time making the design, the jig and materials.

I drilled the blocks out with a 6.5mm drill bit and drove in the Ebony “dots” using Titebond III.
However just about every block later split on the edge somewhere but not in the same spot every time.

So I binned the lot,... its a pity really as it was a real out of the box design. Possibly an introduction to less practical!

Paul.
You would have been proud of me I was doing some electrical work on a Bay Cruiser for a friend last week,

Mike.
I would be interested to find out more about the computer program sometime.

-- Regards Robert

View patron's profile

patron

13020 posts in 1975 days


#4 posted 295 days ago

very nice works

some things work as intended
some teach new things
all find a home somewhere

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase