You may have noticed some of my projects are veneer inlay enhanced
The inlays I use are mostly made by myself, for the more complex medallion’s and the likes they are store bought.
Today I was busy making some veneer inlay stock, the activity was prompted by a few posts from rogerbean and the boxes he has made.
The edging he used on the boxes fascinated me so I attempted to reproduce the effect
I am not sure how it was made for his projects but I muddled my way through to partly reproduce the effect.
I started off with some contrasting off cuts I had lying about.
I selected a few that I could make a reasonable prototype with.
The materials were:-
I used the Jointer to flatten and square 2 sides.
I then used the band saw to resaw the pine and Ebony into the strips in the photo
After resawing I ran then through the thicknesser to remove the saw marks.
I then aligned them and applied Titebond III glue ensuring it was spread evenly on the sections.
Rechecked the alignment on one side only and left them to dry
Upon the glue drying I used the jointer again to skim the aligned side and the following is the result.
This is the Pine and Ebony.
This is the Pine Walnut Ebony and Cherry.
The selection of materials.
After making sure they were the sizes and thickness I wanted I glued them up
In this shot I have two backing boards and screw clamps.
The other composite one I used my plastic spring clamps, however I found that they were breaking whilist I was waiting for the glue to dry. Very odd.
The broken clamps.
The next step will be to decide how to section them for the final finish
Standby for the next part.
-- Regards Robert