Working with recycled timber #15: When working on Step No 2 a sanding surprise

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 09-19-2013 05:54 AM 1184 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 14: Concrete Cancer almost got me Part 15 of Working with recycled timber series Part 16: Step 2 complete »

If you read my Concrete Cancer Blog you would have seen the ongoing work that I needed to do in step repair.

Well I found yet another piece of timber in my stash suitable for step No 2

It was in a reasonable condition, a couple of screw holes but nothing obvious FO wise, but will require a jointer and thicknesser run to remove some slight twist before installation.

So I began preparing it much the same as with Step No 1 before.
Again I am not sure what the timber is but it weight a “ton” and looked to be the same material from the end grain view.

So out with the cut off saw again and cut off the rubbish using a 5 deg slope.

A trim to length on the other end has it ready for an initial clean up sanding

Now when I started sanding at 40 Grit I found two hidden treasures!

Apart from being metal just exactly what the were is unknown at this stage.

The removal of them now took priority on the stair work as I didn’t want them as part of the build.

They were fairly substantial size so I guessed they were screws.

I initially exposed them with my plug cutter and tried to remove them but they would not budge.

Trying to cut away the timber with my plug cutter was not good for it so I swapped it for a metal hole saw.
I needed to remove the pilot drill but as I had a dish recess it was no bother to control

I now needed to remove the timber from around the object so I used one of my small electrical screwdrivers to chisel it out

After removal of the waste it was clear that the FO was in fact some sort of screw.

Back into my electrical tool box and retrieve my stud extraction pliers. These pliers are specifically designed to remove Broken studs in electrical appliances, and have a rounded jaw at the front so I assumed they would work just as well with wood.

With quite a bit of persuasion I remove a screw from the timber, and it was huge, possibly a tek screw of which the head screwed off going into the timber!
You can see the jaws profile in this shot

I repeated the process on the second screw and again was successful in its removal.

I think I heard three cheers coming from my sander thicknesser and jointer on job completion!!

That’s the sort of FO that would definitely total blades in one hit let alone just nick them!

That was it for the day the rest is much the same routine as before so I will not bore you any more.

A good result and what could have been a very nasty example of FO in recycled timber.

I might look at buying a metal detector as the FO was definitely not visible at the initial inspection or when I sawed it up


-- Regards Rob

3 comments so far

View hoosier0311's profile


706 posts in 2076 days

#1 posted 09-19-2013 04:43 PM

I make alot of things with pallets, I have sets of blades for the TS and planer that I deem “sacrificial” just for this reason. If I roached a nice ridge carbide blade by wacking a leftover lag bolt,,,,,,,,well,,, I would cry like a little girl.

-- atta boy Clarence!

View palaswood's profile


1027 posts in 1802 days

#2 posted 09-19-2013 05:01 PM

that’s a great idea, using a sacrificial balde. I reclaim almost all my wood so I better be careful.

nice save!

-- Joseph, Irvine CA, @palas_woodcraft on Instagram

View Roger's profile


20929 posts in 2855 days

#3 posted 09-20-2013 11:44 AM

Yikes! That’ll hurt yer tools.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics