A bit of an Introduction
I had a request form my wife Aurora.
“Can you make me a box to put my lunch gear in the car so it doesn’t tip over?”
Of course I can dear was my automated reply!
So I set to work measuring everything up and making a design, I decide to use some ply sheet and cut it up initially with my power saw, what a horrible edge it left!
I wanted to do something special so I decided I had enough round moulding stock I had made previously.
All I needed to do was to cut a rebate in the edge of it and I was in business.
Here is a photograph to visualise what I am talking about.
The box is assembled but incomplete at this stage.
Stage 1. Making the jig
How to hold a piece of round stock on a shaper and cut a straight rabbet made me think for a while.
My thinking produced a vision of a jig with the same profile as the stock and having the ability to be able to hold the stock and allow a straight rabbet to be cut.
So I set up a cove bit to do the job.
I needed to ensure the jig did not drop down as it came off the cove bit so I attached a block to hold it steady.
I then added some double sided tape to hold the stock from rotating.
Stage 2. Cutting the stock.
After a change out and set up of the rabbet bit I marked some very fine index lines on the stock and attached them to the jig ready to go.
The short sections went well.
Then when I wanted to move the longer stock along the jig the double sided tape decided to roll along as well and fall off!
A Mid Project Modification required.
I decided to stop mid process and glue some abrasive material on the jig to hold the stock, a fairly routine activity on fences anyway. It worked without a problem
Stage 3. Holding and using the Jig.
To use the jig simply required two hands, one to hold the stock against the fence and the other to push the stock through the cutter.
Easy to do but hard to photograph so I had to take two shots.
All went well except for one piece, but its in an area I can cut out later. There is the result of my portable power saw cutting work too!
Stage 4. Cutting the 45 degree ends.
To cut the 45 degree ends I had to mark the cuts inside the rabbet so I had to use an additional set up jig to allow the kerf cut area to be set and cut accurately without being able to see the index line.
Once I had all the angles finished It was a matter of attaching them to the top and bottom of the box.
Stage 5. Cutting the vertical pieces.
To cut a matching profile on the four verticals I used a cove bit again and a set up block and then approached the cutter vertically.
I am not sure if this is the best way to do the profile but it produced a reasonable but not perfect joint.
Completion: I cut the moulding for the middle removable panel by holding the stock flat on the table and it produced a perfect profile match.
I don’t have a photo of the finished panel so you will have to check it out when I post the completed Project.
I hope this is of some informative use, enjoy.
-- Regards Robert