Yesterday I spent all day sawing up a couple of hardwood pallet slats.
I was trying to make a octagonal 20 deg slope sides tray.
I must have spent countless hours sawing up material to ensure I could do what I had imagined.
However when I thought I had the system down pat I had sections going off at different planes.
So I sawed everything up again and met with the same result.
I then Googled wood working stave work and found some formulas worthy of a Prince Phillip design award, regardless I tried them, my instinct told me It would not work, sure enough it didn’t.
P.S. In defence of the posted formula’s I have to admit t didn’t fully understand the sine co sine explanation and the long string mathematical formula’s, wood working doesn’t need to be that complex Moses managed it.
What could I be doing wrong I thought it cannot be that hard? so I tried and tried and failed and failed.
Just as I was about to give up I remembered I had made a vase holder for my wife some time ago and it worked OK and without any complicated formulas,,......it then dawned on me I was cutting the material in the incorrect plane, I had it flat on the drop saw table instead of vertical.
Doh What a dummy!!
To confirm that the errors were solely user related I did a test cut on some scrap pieces to confirm.
I cut a few pieces and mated them up all was good!
So I set to work in Ernst making more material cutting it to length making handles designing in a way of stepping down from the high ends with the handles to the sides.
Routing in the handles, sanding everything up ready to assemble.
Now trying to clamp together a frame with a 20 deg slope was not going to be easy.
So I decided to use “0” biscuits as splines.
The next dilemma was how to cut a biscuit slot into material with a 22.5 degree angle and 10 deg slope on each half of the ends.
I made a jig to do it and it did it well. I will post the Jig as a blog later.
Upon doing a test cut found that the stock I had prepared was too narrow for the biscuits and they protruded out the top and bottom, not good.
So I decided I would off set them and trim off the exposed section of the biscuit.
Result was almost acceptable but far from professional
I dry assembled everything and checked the the angles they looked bad, so I dismantled everything and sanded the edge of the miss match, hoping to correct the problem, re assembled everything and it looked worse,..... I had sanded the incorrect edge, so its pull everything down and redo the angle.
This time it was not as bad but still not acceptable.
Its go to the bin time I am thinking. ponder ponder.
Two days and with the use of fancy wood working tools I have managed to produce nothing but rubbish!
Any way I decide to do a glue up and see what the result is after all its only reclaimed timber.
I have go to learn how to do this I tell myself!
Ever tried to clamp a project with sloping sides, its almost impossible, any way I decided to clamp the sections down on to temporary bench and tried to clamp it, another fail
Time to step back and have a beer it will still be there tomorrow!
-- Regards Robert