LumberJocks

Working with recycled timber #8: 20 Stave Drum. Stave glue up

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 356 days ago 918 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: 20 Stave Drum. Stock preparation Part 8 of Working with recycled timber series Part 9: 20 Stave Drum. Routing the Staves »

OK after laying out the staves and using painters tape to hold everything together I applied a bead of Tite Bond III glue to each stave edge and attempted to roll them up together to form the cylinder, well it did not work well staves fell off the tape so I had to apply painters tape on the inside to hold them together as I rolled them into the cylinder.

The tape started breaking away and then started being a nuisance, so I quickly applied a run of electrical tape all around the outside to hold everything together firmly, this worked well and I would do it again for the next time.

Its a good thing the glue has a reasonable work time as it allowed me to align everything and reglue some sections

At this stage I was at a loss as to how to apply a reasonable amount of pressure other than that of the electrical tape.

So I decided to use my shock cord and simply pull it tight and knot it off.

With a few diagonal checks for concentricity and then removing all the painters tape I left everything to set overnight.

The next morning I found the glue up had gone well but found the cylinder was very prone to cracking the joints in its bare state if mishandled.

So the next stage was to add strengthening ribs/sections to each end.
I cut a few sections to determine the correct size and dry fitted them in, The appeared to fit up OK so I cut the remaining 15 or so.

It was when I fitted them all in I found I needed to trim a few with about 2mm to compensate for some creepage.

After that each fitted in and were snug enough that even at dry fit up they did not fall out when I picked up the cylinder.

Happy with this I dismantled the sections glued them up and refitted them.

It was at this stage I used a ratchet strap the apply an even pressure around the cylinder, checked the diameters again and left them for the glue to set.

I didn’t take a photo with the ratchet strap fitted but I think you can get the picture.

Once the glue was dry I sanded everything from 40 Grit up to 120 grit.

A note:

I made a fairly silly mistake not sanding each stave before assembly as I made it hard for myself doing it with the drum assembled as it was very easy to round over the edge if not very careful. (A lesson learned for next time) Sand everything prior to glue up!

-- Regards Robert



1 comment so far

View Roger's profile

Roger

14177 posts in 1409 days


#1 posted 356 days ago

Ahh, more interesting

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase