The trays are now ready for initial sanding inspecting and filling where required.
First up its onto the Disk Sander to do the backs and sides of the dovetails
The Disk Sander has an 80Grit disk fitted, and it did a good job, although I had to take it very lightly on the end grain to avoid burning the timber.
Then it was onto the bench and using my 1/2 sheet sander I set to work
Starting off with 180 grit
I worked up to 320 grit
Finishing with 400 grit
I did the cove recess by hand using the sheets left over as I progressed.
The end with the natural defect I left as is because I liked the way it looked, natural and it suited the finish.
There was a few spots requiring filling, one large one being where I ripped some bark out on the tray base where it was on the edge.
Note: This is the end of the Blog, I posted the finished trays as a project
A simple project I spent the time documenting in the hope those with less experience who read it may have learned something from my endeavours and to pass on some of my limited skills.
And importantly for members to see a project progress from raw stock to a finished useful product.
LLWW for the supply of the New Guinea Rose wood timber. Not forgetting all the Mentoring as well!
The Paint Place Cannon Hill Elaine and Crew for the supply of the sanding sealer.
Col Housie for the Dovetail Jig used.
My wife for putting up with me hogging the PC every afternoon to do the blog and finally
Lumberjocks Woodworking Showcase for providing the medium to be able to see this Blog.
-- Regards Robert