I am now at a stage ready to fit the bases I made into the bottom of the three frames.
I wanted to make the bases slope backwards into the trays so I set about making yet another jig.
Also you may remember I milled the bases down to 5mm. Now this has created a bit of extra work for me as I do not have a 5mm straight router bit. however I do have a spiral bit from my Gifkins starter kit which is 4mm.
So with a bit of experimenting I found the only item I had that was close to 1mm was my steel rules (at 1.5mm)
Exactly what I needed, so I used it as a shim for my work.
A word of caution here if you have to do this please make sure you have all rotating machinery stationary when placing metal objects anywhere near router bits.
The setup for the sides
This is the jig I used and the results obtained
Now because I made a jig which did both sides and required flipping over it was important to me not to screw up any more, I was on the home run! So I made distinct index marks on the jig ensuring the bottom of the sides was fitted correctly. It worked without a problem
Now for the first pass the rule was out
The second pass it was a simple matter of putting the rule in and going again
Making sure the index marks were followed.
The setup for the backs
As the backs had a parallel groove inserted I used a Backing block matched to the finish groove on the rear of the sides and then added the rule to match the re routing and get the required width
Here we go with the rule out.
The dovetail end had the groove pass into the tail about 50% of it and produced a small amount of chip out.
So I bagged them up for later glue in.
And again with the rule in.
The final results
A dry reassembly to check all was OK
I did do all three trays but showed only two in the images
Phewie! all the $2.50 In/Out Trays were almost finished.
All that now remains is the final fit-up and assembly and they would be finished.
The astute viewers will spot this activity should have preceded the radius step!
Keep watching !!
-- Regards Robert