LumberJocks

NWGR In and Out trays #4: Profiling the sides

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 402 days ago 564 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Making the Dovetail Joints Part 4 of NWGR In and Out trays series Part 5: Routing the frames for the bases »

Well all is advancing and the sides looked a little bland, square and featureless so I decided to do some profiling.

I had a bowl cutter and radius bit so I used both of them to produce the following effects.

First up the bowl Cutter at work.

I used my shaper again to do the work, but to get the cutter to remove a limited amount of material I had to raise the material up on the shapers bed as I could not get the cutter bit to set down low enough.
This I did by adding a moving top and carefully cutting a 5mm deep section in the middle of the sides.
I again used a test piece to do a test run as I was not in a position to screw up here due to no more material available.
The test run produced a good result, so I set to work

This is the setup.
I have three magnetic blocks holding the moving top in position.
Dust extraction this time is cable tied onto the fence hold downs, and it only works when the stock first starts then again upon removal of the stock.
This process involves lowering the stock onto the bowl cutter as its running (plunging) and moving the stock across the cutter carefully watching the index marks in the fence.
Much the same as cutting tapers on a jointer, it can be done but requires both confidence and competency in using the tools this way.
.

This is the result

Oh rats !
I managed to do five correctly but overshot on one almost ruining it.
Well my in and out trays are now down to two only. the third will be mine to use in the workshop

I have a spare back but not a spare side Oh well.

Anyway

On with the radius bit work.
First a hi tech radius tool was used.
Its the top of a juice bottle I found! it was a suitable radius, so I marked everything out and set to work.

Then it was onto the disk sander for material removal

I sanded each piece down individually and stopped short of almost touching the radius line.

Then clamped everything together, checked them all for squareness and finished all to the line on the sander.

Then the final profile.
After some setting up of the shaper I did some test cuts again to get a suitable profile and set to work.
There is that oil bottle again, no explanation required there.

To start on an edge I chose to commence in front of the line and work back thus preventing any possible over shoot when freehand routing.

Worked my way around to the finish and it was simply a matter of stopping at the index line.

I did not take a completion shot the work, but it will be visible in the next blog, but I can report all went well on part 2 of the profiling thankfully.

-- Regards Robert



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase