LumberJocks

NWGR In and Out trays #2: Making the base for the trays

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 06-14-2013 01:53 AM 665 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Fun in preparing the timber Part 2 of NWGR In and Out trays series Part 3: Making the Dovetail Joints »

OK here we go for todays work.
It involves selecting some timber for the bases and preparing them with the thicknesser for use.
The bases are made from a slab of camphor Laurel.
Its large enough to mill down and get three individual bases from it.
The slab had a massive twist in it and was almost unsuitable for anything else but cutting into smaller sections.
I need to be able to get three pieces about 320mm x 245mm from it.
Side A no problems there with sizes I have widths up to 270mm.

However Side B presented some fairly close tolerances and none at the required width yet.
But I thought I could achieve it as it reduced in thickness

So I set to work incrementally reducing it to achieve about 250mm of useable timber width.
First up I had to reduce the overall width to below 305mm due to the width of my thicknesser.
This I did by simply trimming off the wings and associated bark. Because of the twist I used my trusty hand saw to do the job instead of a band or table saw


I am not sure if the twist is visible in the photos, but as the slab was already about 10mm thick it presented no problem for the thicknesser, and I hoped it would roll over the twist.
So in it went

After about five or six passes I was getting somewhere the width dimension requirements I wanted.
However the timber slab was now at 5.5mm and below the standard of 6mm so I had to stop on side B

I now concentrated on Side A for a clean up.
I had my thicknesser running at its maximum capacity (should have been a warning there but ignored it) and hence didn’t notice the DC filling with chips, sure enough I managed to block it all including the 3” line as well before I noticed the chips began to eject themselves from the infeed tray.
I might add the gear I have although an occasional use type it did a great job, good thing it was not heavyweight timber.

I emptied the bins and bag and continued on.
Now taking only 1/4 turns on the thicknesser on side A I completed surfacing of the slab and finished up at 5mm.
This was getting a bit on the thin side, and would lead to additional work as I was now in the relm of a non standard size in regard to router bits!
With the task complete I ran a couple of some small off cuts of rosewood though using a backing board.

Anyway I pressed on, due to the close tolerances I was going to encounter I decided to make a base template first.

Using it I then cut three bases from the material

The reason for the base template was to enable me to determine where to make the base frame cuts by overlaying it on each base slab, as I had about 400mm to work in.
The bases were cut using a table saw and rip fence set by the template each time.
Two of them were full width and one has some bark visible on the bottom.
Side A

Side B

I think I can use the third one, so I guess the fit up will be the final decision for yes or no.

Some light sanding on the edges and recessing the front saw the base panels finished ready for fit up into the frames.

-- Regards Robert



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase