With all the timber now Jointed I sat down and checked the thicknesses of them all.
From my measurements I now had timber thickness from a little over 22mm down to 15mm.
So I picked out four of the shortest and thinnest to use.
I then ran them through the thicknesser and matched them them all to 12mm, (great that will suit my dovetail Jig) and then resawed then them all the same width with the table saw.
After that I drum sanded everything incrementally to 240grit.
They sanded very well but I noticed a strange effect.
I found the grain had a very odd feature there were small open cells which I could not remove.
I checked everything, sharp blades clear sanding grit, but the phenomena would not budge.
I even went to the extent of surfing the net to find a solution, but all found was I had wasted lots of time and not achieved any result or answers.
So I phoned up my fellow woodworker Larry to ask him if he had experienced the same effect, but he hadn’t, and as we were both busy so I sent him an email with the above pictures for him to analyse later.
Then it was back to the workshop and using an A4 sheet size as a guide and then adding 10mm I came up with a suitable cut list.
So it was on to the table saw and cut the timber to their respective lengths.
I had enough material to make three trays, a spare back in case of a goof, and some off cuts to do test cuts with, so I was happy to proceed.
New Guinea Rosewood certainly has a very nice colour feature along with a distinct smell.
-- Regards Robert