Camphor Laurel Blanket Box
The background of how this box came about is in two parts
Part 1 I made a box to store timber off cuts in originally back in January 2012 .
Part 2 It lived in my shop for about 9 months until my wife spotted it and decided it would be of better use as a blanket box, it was then in September 2012 I made the lid for it.
Preamble: I milled the timber from a friends place in Kyogle NSW Grant Mercer.
After seasoning I began dressing the timber and as a result made the lower section as a storage box.
I made the lid from three pieces of timber purchased from Lazy Larrys Workkshop in Aug 2012 when the request to was made to use the box in another role.
For the lid I used 3×1200mm x 250mm x 35mm rough sawn timber.
The Box and Base:
For the box I used the camphor I milled which was now dressed to 140mm x 19mm.and in various lengths
For the base I used 2 x sections of 12mm ply.
It is in two sections simply because of the boxes primary intended role was just to store timber in.
I was originally going to use the Brass butlers tray hinges but opted for some concealed flap hinges due to my inability to perfect a method to mount the Butler hinges sucessfully.
Kreg Screws and Titebond III glue: The main construction is all Kreg screws however I used titebond III as well to attach the lid.
Off Cuts: As I cut the 4×1200mm lengths for the front and back The off cuts were then used on the stiles.
The Lid: The Lid is 1290mm x 450mm x 28mm overall
The fixed section where the hinges are located is 95mm.
There is a 25mm overlap at the sides front and back. The front has a finger recess milled in which I used a cove bit to do.
Side panels: The side panels are 400mm wide and 500mm high.
The two rails are 400mm x 140 mm
The two stiles are 220mm x 140mm
Kreg screwed together
Front and rear Panels are both 1200×500mm
The two rails are 1200 mm x 140mm.
The three stiles are: two at 220mm x 140mm and one at 220mm x 110 mm for the center.
Again all Kreg screwed together
The panel inserts are Aust hardwood originally rough sawn so I just thicknessed them and cut to suit the rebated sections. They were a press fit simply glued in position around the edges of the frame.
I made two jigs to do the patterns on the rails and stiles then used a router and cove bit to produce the result. I cannot tell you the dimensions of the jig as I threw it away thinking I would never need it again,
(this proved to be silly move as when I was making the lid nine months later I was going to replicate the pattern on the top as well)
Bottom plywood: 1 x overall dimensions of 1230mm x 380mm rebated into the bottom of the box.
You may notice the sides are attached to the edge of the fronts and backs. This is usually not done in this way. I cannot remember why I did it, however the internals were designed to hold plastic milk crates which it did.
Attaching the Lid
As the lid was fitted retrospectively I just clamped the insert from the kreg tool on the Rear side of the box walls and drilled it upside down.
1×10” table saw
1 x ½ Inch router
1 x Jointer
1 x Thicknesser
1 x Incra miter saw slide V120
1×25mm core box router bit for the finger grip in the lid.
1×8mm core box router bit for the patterns.
1 x rebate bit for the panel inserts
1 x Kreg tool
1 x box of 1 ¼ Kreg screws
1 x Titebond III glue
1 x clamping frame
A couple of kreg clamps
-- Regards Robert